- Donald Trump calls North Korea ‘a threat to the entire world’, White House says
- Said North Korea had made its contempt for all UN nations ‘loud and clear’
- North Korea’s test launch saw a ballistic missile fly over northern Japan
- Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said he would do all in his power to protect people
- South Korea in response dropped eight bombs at a range near the Korean border
- South Korea warned North Korea may be preparing for its sixth nuclear test
- Detected signs of it preparing another test at its Punggye-ri underground site
- US, Japan and South Korea have requested a UN Security Council meeting
Japanese broadcaster NHK reported that the Japanese government warned that a North Korean missile was headed toward the Tohoku region at the northern end of the country. NHK also reported that Japan took no action to shoot down the missile.
The Japanese broadcaster reported that the North Korean missile broke into three pieces and fell into the sea.
Dow Jones industrial average futures opened more than 100 points lower following the news, and was down more than 100 points in premarket trading Tuesday morning. The dollar fell against the Japanese yen.
President Donald Trump blasted North Korea as a ‘threat to the entire world,’ following its latest provocation – a ballistic missile launch over Japan today.
In a return to the saber-rattling of the last flare up with North Korea, Trump is warning that ‘all options are on the table’ – an obvious reference to U.S. military might.
His tough words came as North Korea’s latest launch, this time of a missile over Japan’s northern island, terrified Japanese citizens and caused a sudden drop in financial markets.
Weeks ago, Trump had warned that North Korea would face ‘fire and fury’ if it issued threats to the U.S.
The U.S. led an effort for new sanctions against the rogue regime that were approved by the UN Security Council.
In a telephone conversation with Japan’s President Shinzo Abe, Trump said that he ‘agreed that North Korea poses a grave and growing direct threat to the United States, Japan and the Republic of Korea, as well as to countries around the world,’ the statement added.
Within hours of Kim’s missile launch, South Korea had responded with an ‘overwhelming show of force’ by bombing a shooting range near its border to the North as part of a military drill, launching footage which contained a stern warning to Kim Jong-Un.
Seoul dropped eight Mark 84 bombs with four F15K fighter jets near Taebaek, Gangwon-do province, and released footage of the drill along with a video of its own ballistic missile tests conducted last week.
‘If North Korea threatens the security of the South Korean people and the South Korea-US alliance with their nuclear weapons and missiles our air forces will exterminate the leadership of North Korea with our strong strike capabilities,’ South Korean Colonel Lee Kuk-no warned in the video.