Anarchism in Greece is often difficult to trace the connections of the various anarchist leagues and affinity groups, as they remained mostly underground. They are making progress against these evil zion banker states imposing harsh austerity and depraved freedoms upon their working populace.


A Greek government official’s car was firebombed in front of his house on Friday while a Molotov cocktail was thrown at a bank and another group attacked a police car, the authorities said. Attacks on banks and government property have increased since a 15-year-old was killed by the police earlier this month, setting off a wave of violent youth protests. The car, used by a junior environment minister, was hit by a gasoline bomb early Friday in the northwestern city of Ioanina. The attack on a branch of the Greek Farm Bank in Psychiko, a suburb of Athens, caused minor damage. In the evening, youths attacked a police car passing in front of an Athens hospital. The police officers fled; no one was injured.

In 2002, the “Anti-authoritarian Movement” (“Αντιεξουσιαστική Κίνηση” – “Antiexousiastiki Kinisi“) was established on the general lines of Left Anarchism and direct action. It is active mainly in Athens, Thessaloniki, and a few more urban centers. In 2004, Anarchists opposed the staging of the Olympic Games in Athens because of the intensification of state control and repression. Since that time, many Anarchist posters and pamphlets appear in two or more languages: Greek and Albanian (and sometimes Bulgarian, Arabic, and Georgian), showing solidarity to “foreign” workers in Greece.

The Anarchist group Anti-State Justice coordinated several bombing attacks in early 2006

December 2008

On 6 December 2008, 15-year-old Alexandros Grigoropoulos, was shot dead by a policeman after a verbal exchange in the libertarian stronghold of Exarchia, Athens. Within an hour, anarchists, leftists, and sympathizers rioted and attacked banks, police vehicles and government offices in the area. The government’s attempts for a cover-up and refusal to apologize brought thousands to the streets for daily clashes and demonstrations The parliament building was besieged for weeks by angry crowds. Major violence erupted during one of the marches, with rioters attacking and setting fire to many public buildings, banks, and shops. Thousands of young people staged angry protests across Greece for a week, attacking police stations in every town. In almost every neighborhood of Athens and Piraeus, police stations, banks, and big businesses were firebombed. The “December Unrest“, as it became known, gave a new impetus to the anarchists, who were at the forefront of the movement.[citation needed]


Anarchist groups organized and participated in protests against the measures implemented by the government to resolve 2010 Greek economic crisis that was precipitated by the 2010 Greek sovereign debt crisis. In April 2015, the authorities shutdown Indymedia’s internet server at Athens Polytechnic, but activists forcibly reopened it a few days later.

17th of November and anarchists

17 November is now an official school holiday in Greece, celebrating the Athens Polytechnic Uprising of 1973 against the military junta. Massive demonstrations take place in the large urban centers in memory of the dead and almost every year riots occur. Anarchists are usually responsible for inciting these riots.


The first parliamentary elections after the fall of the military junta were planned to coincide with the first anniversary of the Polytechnic Uprising, so the demonstrations were to be postponed to 24 November. Many people were opposed to that (including leftist groups and the Communist Party). In the end, two demonstrations took place: one on the 15th and the other as planned on the 24th. On the 15th, a text was distributed to the people arriving at the demonstration, which read: “Comrades, salaried slaves, one year after the November Uprising the counter-revolution is in full swing. Comrades, the November Uprising made the owners and the aspiring owners of authority shake. Comrades, all the lackeys of state and capital ask us to be productive robots, passive spectators of our lives…”, and it was signed by the “Anarchist Group of Extremists”. The demonstration committee declared that their position was different from the text and asked the people present to isolate the Anarchists. On 23 May 1976, a general strike turned to violent clashes between left-wing workers and students and the police. For 12 hours all of central Athens was like a battlefield. A woman was killed when a police tank ran over her. Anarchists and others fought over barricades near the Polytechnic. On 17 November 1976, the first organized Anarchist bloc took part in the demonstrations.

In November 1978, the rally was taking place in the Polytechnic. The government had forbidden the customary march to the US embassy. The police had a very strong presence, and before the march started, minor conflicts occurred. The National Student’s Union of Greece declared that the demonstration was to be canceled due to the large police force. Despite that, people went on marching and clashed with police.


In November 1980, the atmosphere was very charged due to the killing of Assistant Commander of police’s Riot Squad (MAT) by the Marxist group Revolutionary Organization 17 November. The march to the US embassy wasn’t allowed to take place, but a demonstration took place on the 16th and Anarchists took part. When the leftist/Anarchist bloc reached Syntagma Square and attempted to march towards the US embassy, the police attacked with tear gas and smoke bombs. The demonstrators retreated, breaking windows of banks, shops and public buildings, putting up barricades and lighting fires. A small group broke into a bank and tried to break open the safe, with the intention of taking the money out and burning it in the street. The safe didn’t budge. Other people were looting the jewellery and liquor stores. The police attacked back. After hours of street fighting, the result was several people injured and two dead, I. Koumis and S. Kanelopoulou. The next day another demonstration took place. In November 1982, Anarchists burned Greek flags and the wreaths laid at the memorial of the Polytechnic Uprising by politicians. Some clashes occurred.


On 16 November 1983, the office of Communist Party’s mouthpiece Rizospastis was attacked and damaged by Anarchists, in solidarity with the Polish workers who were revolting against Stalinism. After the demonstration on the 17th, the offices of the Technical Chamber of Greece were attacked.

On 17 November 1984, a concert “against state repression” was planned but was prohibited at the last moment by the Polytechnic’s rector. Massive riots started outside the Polytechnic. A text that was published after the event read: “This gave food to the rags and those who think that the university is their kingdom. It’s up to us if they will taste this food for a lifetime and burp happily or if they will throw it up and then crawl in their dirty un-orgasmic Party offices.”

In November 1985, clashes with the police could be witnessed from the beginning, something which could be explained by the following events: Few Anarchists took part in this year’s demonstration but when it ended, they broke into the offices of South Africa Airlines, as a protest against apartheid. The clashes continued around Exarchia Square and a 15-year-old, Michalis Kaltezas, was shot dead by a policeman. The Anarchists occupied the Polytechnic and the clashes continued until the police broke in. The same day the school was re-squatted and Stournari street was blocked. Demonstrations and further clashes occurred with the police but in the night everything stopped. Leftists criticized the clashes and said that if the Anarchists didn’t riot more people would demonstrate for the death of M. Kaltezas.

The clashes in 1989.

Probably the most massive Anarchist demonstration for 17 November occurred in 1986.

In 1987, when government officials tried to place wreaths at the memorial site of the Polytechnic, clashes started which escalated into a riot that lasted three days. Clashes also occurred outside of the U.S. embassy.

The Anarchist block of 1989 was probably the smallest for a decade and after an attack by the police during the march it disbanded after some small clashes.


In November 1990, Anarchists gathered at the rear of the customary demonstration and attacked banks and public buildings. Minor clashes with the police occurred as well.

At midday, on 16 November 1992, the Ministry of Labor was attacked with firebombs and in the evening a solidarity demonstration to the jailed Anarchists N. Maziotis, N. Skiftoulis, K. Mazokopos and B. Tsouris who were on hunger strike took place. It ended in clashes with the police around the Polytechnic. On the 17th the offices of the New Democracy Party and two bus ticket booths were burned down during clashes. 26 people were arrested.

In 1994, during 15, 16 and 17 November, Anarchists handed out leaflets, made banners for the occasion, and sprayed their slogans on the walls of the Polytechnic. On the 16th, around 30 people attacked a police bus on Kanigos Square and two luxury cars parked outside the General Accountant’s Building with firebombs. On the 17th, while the officials were giving their speeches for the “holiday”, a group attacked riot police stationed outside the Polytechnic with firebombs, rocks, and flares. Later that evening a van from TV station SKAI was destroyed.



One thought on “Greek Anarchists behind euro wide resistance

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.