Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro has said an apparent assassination attempt on him while he delivered a speech on live television was the result of a plot by the “far right”.

Several drones armed with explosives were flown towards the stage from which the leader was delivering his address, but they blew up before they reached the 55-year-old.

It was not immediately clear whether they detonated prematurely or whether they were shot down.

Seven people were injured in the incident, but the president was unharmed, Venezuela’s information minister said.

A soldier bleeds from the head following the incident in Caracas on Saturday (Xinhuavia AP)

Footage of the incident shows Mr Maduro giving a speech to hundreds of soldiers in Caracas when there is a disturbance.

Mr Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, look up to the sky and wince. A few moments later, soldiers rush towards the president, while crowds scatter.

“This was an attempt to kill me,” he later said, retelling the events. “Today they attempted to assassinate me.”

Information minister Jorge Rodriguez said the incident took place shortly after 5.30pm while Mr Maduro was celebrating the National Guard’s 81st anniversary.

The head of state – who appeared visibly shaken – said he saw a “flying device” explode and thought it could be the start of a fireworks display.

Seconds later, Mr Maduro said, he heard a second explosion and panic ensued.

Bodyguards rushed the Venezuelan leader away from the scene, as television footage showed uniformed soldiers standing in formation quickly scattering.

Bodyguards surround Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro after drones the detonated (Xinhua via AP)

Mr Maduro said the “far right”, working with detractors in Bogota and Miami, including Colombian president Juan Manuel Santos, were responsible for the attack.

“I am alive and victorious,” he said in a bullish televised address. “Everything points to the Venezuelan ultra-right in alliance with the Colombian ultra-right, and that the name of Juan Manuel Santos is behind this attack.”

Some of the “material authors” of the apparent attack have been detained, he said, adding: “The investigation will get to the bottom of this.”

Venezuela’s government routinely accuses opposition activists of plotting to attack and overthrow Mr Maduro, a deeply unpopular leader who was recently elected to a new term in office in a vote decried by dozens of nations.

He has moved to concentrate power at his fingertips as the nation grabbles with the repercussions of a crippling economic crisis.

Last year, a rogue police officer flew a stolen helicopter over the capital and launched grenades at several government buildings. Rebel leader Oscar Perez was later killed in a gun battle after over six months on the run.

Attorney general Tarek William Saab said the attempted assassination targeted not only Mr Maduro, but rather the military’s entire high command, which was on stage with the president.

Prosecutors have already launched their investigation and obtained details from suspects in custody, said Mr Saab, adding that he would give more details on Monday.

“We are in the midst of a wave of civil war in Venezuela,” he said.

images-45

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s