British couple who died suddenly on a Thomas Cook holiday were “fit and healthy” before they left home, their daughter has said, as around 300 holidaymakers are evacuated from the same Egyptian hotel after more guests fell ill.

The travel company took the decision to evacuate its remaining customers at the Red Sea resort “as a precaution” following the deaths of John and Susan Cooper.

The couple, from Burnley, Lancashire, were on holiday with THOMAS COOK at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada with their daughter, Kelly Ormerod, and her three children when tragedy struck.

Describing the “horrendous ordeal”, Mrs Ormerod said her parents “had no health problems at all” before their holiday, adding that the family are in “utter shock” as they await results of post-mortem examinations.

As the cause of their deaths is investigated, Mrs Ormerod reportedly told local officials she believes an alleged faulty air conditioning unit might have been involved in her parents falling ill.

Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel 
The Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel ‘offers all sorts of goodies for an unforgettable holiday’, according to the Thomas Cook website

Local officials insist the pair died of natural causes. But Thomas Cook said the hotel was being evacuated after it received reports of a “raised level of illness among guests”.

It said 301 holidaymakers will have options for alternative hotels from Friday, when those wishing to go home will be flown back to Britain.

Ahmed Abdullah, the governor for the Red Sea province, insisted Mr Cooper, 69, and his 64-year-old wife died from natural causes.

“The husband fell sick and was taken to hospital, where he died,” he said. “About three hours later his wife had a shock and died.”

John and Susan Cooper
John and Susan Cooper were described by a family friend as ‘very close’

It comes 11 years after the operator was rocked by the deaths of Bobby and Christi Shepherd, aged six and seven, who died from carbon monoxide poisoning at the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel, in Corfu, in October 2006.

At their inquest, it was found the firm breached its duty of care over the deaths. There is no suggestion the latest incident has any link at all to that case.

Mrs Cooper was a Thomas Cook employee who worked at a Burnley branch, which was closed on Thursday as a mark of respect.

stream_img

There they go again Thomas Cook not giving a damn about either their employees or their clients

unnamed-2-163141

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.