• The list of alleged ‘drug personalities’ announced by Duterte includes 33 mayors, eight vice mayors and three members of the House of Representatives
  • Duterte denied trying to undermine the politicians ahead of the May 13 elections

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday publicly named 46 government officials, including three congressmen, he said are involved in illegal drugs, and added that criminal investigations against them are underway.

Although critics have warned him against making such public announcements without solid evidence, Duterte said in a peace and order meeting shown on nationwide TV that he trusted the government agencies that provided the information.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte (left) says 46 officials are on a “narco list” of “drug personalities”. Photo: EPA

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte (left) says 46 officials are on a “narco list” of “drug personalities”. Photo: EPAShare:

“My decision to unmask these drug personalities was anchored on my trust in the government agencies who had vetted and validated the narco list,” Duterte said in his stunning accusation. He said the Department of Interior and Local Government has filed administrative complaints against the politicians.

The government’s Anti-Money Laundering Council and a presidential anti-corruption commission are both investigating the officials to build criminal cases against them, Duterte said. Many of the officials, including 33 mayors, eight vice mayors and three members of the House of Representatives, are running in mid-term elections in May.The other side of Duterte’s war on drugs: rehabilitation and rooting out corruption

Duterte said he did not aim to undermine the politicians ahead of the May 13 elections but decided to identify them after their involvement in the drug trade was validated by authorities.SUBSCRIBE TO THIS WEEK IN ASIAGet updates direct to your inboxSUBMITBy registering for these newsletters you agree to our T&C and Privacy Policy

The officials named by Duterte did not immediately respond. Duterte said other officials were also involved but that he had decided not to name them until their complicity is ascertained.

“Those which have already been filed have somewhat been validated,” he said.

Duterte’s crackdown on illegal drugs has left thousands of mostly poor suspects dead and has alarmed Western governments and human rights groups.

The drug killings have sparked two complaints of mass murder to the International Criminal Court. A prosecutor there is looking into the complaints and is expected to announce soon whether to elevate the inquiry into an investigation.

Duterte took steps last year to withdraw the Philippines from the international court, an action that would take effect on March 17.Duterte is the Putin of Asia. Maria Ressa is the proof

He has often lashed out at the court and the prosecutor examining the allegations against him, saying the court will never acquire jurisdiction over him and threatening the prosecutor with arrest if she travels to the Philippines.This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: Duterte ties 46 officials to illegal drugs trade

Advertisements

Our Editor Konstantin was born in Moscow’s Vystavka Dostizheniy Narodnogo Khozyaystva (VDNKh) district on 23 February 1961 the second son of a School master. Educated at Kazan National Research Technical University Казанский национальный исследовательский технический университет имени А. Н. Туполева he graduated in Economics in 1982. Recruited to the Soviet 40th Army serving as a Сержант in Aghanistan,later transferring to 1008th Flak Artillery Regiment, before being struck in the shoulder by a stray shell fragment. Konstantin invalided out of the Army . Starting up as Soviet blogger ‘Maaxmann’, later becoming a guard for a Moscow ballet company and it was there accompanying them in the West, that he had his first taste of the ‘High Life’. Failing to return to Russia he resided first in Reutlingen, where he became a correspondent for Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung…later he moved to London to write for the Telegraph,where he now resides with his wife and 2 children.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: