22 civilians killed in government air attacks in Syria
Air attacks by Syrian and Russian military aircraft have killed at least eight people in the northern region of Idlib in the last two days, while 11 people were killed in different areas of Idlib province on Saturday, according to the White Helmets rescue group.
Three people, including a woman and a child, were killed in air raids in the town of Kafarya in eastern Idlib, the organisation said.
Eleven people were injured, including a White Helmets rescuer, the organisation said in a tweet.
Earlier in the day, air attacks in the Khan Sheikhoun town killed at least six people, including four children and two women, when their house was targeted.
Attacks on hospitals
Last week, the Syrian Network for Human Rights (SNHR), which monitors casualties and briefs various United Nations agencies, had said that 130 children were among the 544 civilians killed in the hundreds of attacks carried out by Russian jets and the Syrian army.
Another 2,117 people were wounded since the Russian-led assault on the last rebel-held bastion in northwestern Syria began.
Russian fighter jets joined the Syrian forces on April 26 in the offensive against rebel-held Idlib and adjoining northern Hama provinces in the biggest escalation in the war between Syrian President Bashar al-Assad‘s forces and rebel fighters since last summer.
The Syrian army and its ally Russia denied the allegations. Moscow said its forces and the Syrian army were fending off attacks by al-Qaeda fighters who, they said, hit populated, government-held areas. It also accuses rebels of breaching a ceasefire deal agreed last year between Turkey and Russia.
Last month, UN aid chief Mark Lowcock asked Russia to explain how it used data on the location of Syrian hospitals and clinics following a string of attacks on health facilities.