Italian towns under lockdown as first European coronavirus death reported…

Italy clamps down on travel after virus deaths, as cases rise…

Posted on 23 Feb 2020 by Admin in English // 0 Comments

      1 Vote

afb2
Ljubomir Milasin with Alexandria Sage

Codogno (Italy) (AFP) – Two deaths from the new coronavirus sparked fears throughout northern Italy on Saturday, as about 50,000 people were poised for a weeks-long lockdown imposed by authorities trying to halt a further increase in infections.

Italy on Friday became the first country in Europe to report the death of one of its own nationals from the virus, triggering travel restrictions on about a dozen towns where the number of people contaminated has continued to rise.

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said that people living inside the affected areas in the northern regions would be restricted to those areas, while schools and businesses closed, as part of measures designed to stem new infections.

“In zones considered hotspots, neither entry or exit will be authorised without special permission,” Conte said during a press conference.

A 77-year-old woman died on Saturday near the small town of Codogno in Lombardy in the north, a day after a 78-year-old retired bricklayer succumbed to the virus in the neighbouring region of Veneto.

The number of confirmed cases of coronavirus rose to 79 by late Saturday, including the two deceased, said the head of Italy’s civil protection department, Angelo Borelli.

Most are in the region of Lombardy, but three other regions in Italy’s north have confirmed cases, as well as the central region of Lazio, which includes the capital, Rome.

Newspaper Corriere della Sera reported that the virus had also been identified in Milan, Lombardy’s largest city and the financial centre of Italy.

“The contagiousness of this virus is very strong and pretty virulent,” Lombardy’s health chief Giulio Gallera told a press conference earlier on Saturday.

But he cautioned: “Today it’s not a pandemic.”

Conte warned that the restrictive measures would last for a couple of weeks, corresponding to the length of time the virus incubates. Some 50,000 people, who had already been asked to stay at home by local authorities, will be affected, he said.

Italian authorities have also ordered the postponement of three Serie A football matches on Sunday.

He urged people not to “give in to feelings of panic.”

  • ‘Patient number one’ –

In Lombardy, health authorities had identified “patient number one”, a 38-year-old man from the small town of Codogno southeast of Milan who has been in a serious condition in intensive care.

All cases in the region are connected to him, Gallera said, whether medical workers, relatives or friends.

Italian media had reported that the man dined in January with a friend recently returned from China, yet who has tested negative for the virus. But Italy’s deputy minister of health, Pierpaolo Sileri, said that since the man had not subsequently developed antibodies, he was not the source of the contamination.

In Codogno, streets were mostly deserted and few shops open a day after the mayor put the town of 15,000 people on temporary lockdown. As night fell it resembled a ghost town.

One man, who gave his name as Alberto, described a “muffled silence” in town.

“I don’t have a mask because they ran out in the pharmacy, but I’m taking precautions,” said the 68-year-old.

“When I meet someone, I talk to them keeping my distance, or I take the long way around to get home so I don’t run into anyone.”

  • ‘No panic’ –

Italy’s health minister said the man who died on Friday, Adriano Trevisan, had been admitted to hospital 10 days earlier for an unrelated health issue.

The president of Veneto, Luca Zaia, told RaiNews 24 early Saturday that none of those infected with the virus in the region had been in contact with anyone who had recently arrived from China.

In Rome, two Chinese tourists who were Italy’s first confirmed cases remain in isolation. A third man who was also quarantined has recovered and been released from the same hospital, the Spallanzani Institute in Rome, said Borrelli of the civil protection department.

Since December, COVID-19 has killed more than 2,200 people in China, the epicentre of the virus.

Elsewhere in the world, it has killed more than a dozen people and spread across some 27 countries and territories. Last Sunday, an 80-year-old Chinese tourist died from the new coronavirus in France.

In the areas now under lockdown in northern Italy, public activities such as carnival celebrations, church masses and sporting events had been banned for up to a week, while bars, restaurants, schools and libraries had shut their doors.

Italy towns under lockdown as first European coronavirus death reported…

Posted on 22 Feb 2020 by Admin in English // 0 Comments

      1 Vote

afb2
Ella IDE
Rome (AFP) – An Italian man became the first European to die after being infected with the coronavirus Friday, just hours after 10 towns in the country were locked down following a flurry of new cases.

The 78-year old from the Veneto region who had tested positive for the virus died in hospital, where he had been admitted 10 days earlier for an unrelated health issue, Italy’s health minister said.

Adriano Trevisan was a retired bricklayer and one of two people with the disease in the region, while 15 other people were discovered to have caught the virus in Lombardy, which took immediate measures to isolate affected areas.

Trevisan, from the village of Vo’ Euganeo near Padua, had been diagnosed with the virus on an initial test, but the definitive results were still outstanding.

He had three daughters, one of whom had been the town’s mayor, La Stampa daily reported.

Since December, COVID-19 has killed more than 2,200 people in China, the epidemic’s epicentre.

Elsewhere in the world, it has killed over a dozen people and spread across some 27 countries and territories. Last Sunday, an 80-year-old Chinese tourist died from the new coronavirus in France.

A 67-year old from the same village as Trevisan has also tested positive.

Hagaag

Published by technofiend1

Kazan- Kazan National Research Technical University Казанский национальный исследовательский технический университет имени А. Н. Туполева he graduated in Economics in 1982

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: