CDC launches probe after ‘very healthy’ Miami doctor dies 2 weeks after taking Pfizer’s Covid-19 jab
9 Jan, 2021 04:58 / Updated 1 hour ago
FILE PHOTO: A medical staff member receives the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Florida. © Reuters / Marco Bello
Follow RT onA middle-aged doctor from Florida has passed away two weeks after receiving his first dose of Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine, succumbing to a rare blood disorder. The CDC and local officials have opened a probe into his death.
Dr. Gregory Michael – a 56-year-old obstetrician-gynecologist who ran his own practice at Miami Beach’s Mount Sinai Medical Center for more than a decade – died late last week, 16 days after taking the vaccine developed jointly by Pfizer and BioNTech.
Local health officials said on Friday that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Florida Health Department and the Miami-Dade medical examiner’s office were investigating the exact cause of Michael’s death, which was linked to a rare condition that affects the body’s ability to clot blood.
“The cause of death is pending the completion of studies being done by the medical examiner and the Centers for Disease Control,” said the office’s director, Darren Caprara, in an email to media outlets. He added that while an autopsy was conducted on Tuesday, “the case is still under investigation, so nothing has been finalized” and that a connection to the vaccine had not been ruled out.ALSO ON RT.COMVaccine might not work properly against mutated Covid-19 variant, warns UK Minister hours after Pfizer study claims jab effective
A CDC representative separately told a local media outlet that the agency would “evaluate the situation as more information becomes available and provide timely updates on what is known and any necessary actions.”
The doctor was said to be in good health prior to his death on Sunday, with his wife describing him as “very healthy” in a Facebook post, while his own website noted that he was an avid big game fisherman and a certified scuba diver.
Pfizer, meanwhile, said it was “actively investigating the case,” acknowledging that Michael died of a “highly unusual clinical case of severe thrombocytopenia,” the blood-clotting condition, but noted it does not believe “there is any direct connection to the vaccine.”
There have been no related safety signals identified in trials or vaccinations so far.
Though the Pfizer/BioNTech jab has cleared safety and efficacy hurdles in a number of countries and secured official authorization, at times under emergency-use provisions, the immunization has been linked to alarming reports of adverse reactions in recent weeks, such as two nursing home residents in Norway who passed away days after taking their first dose. Like Michael’s case, officials are still investigating whether the deaths were linked to the vaccine. Meanwhile in Portugal, authorities dismissed reports that a similar sudden death of an otherwise ‘perfectly healthy’ doctor was somehow linked to her taking it.ALSO ON RT.COMInvestigation launched as 2 people die in Norway nursing home days after receiving Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine
Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!
- Gorge-us! Stunning Mars canyon IMAGES hint at ancient life-supporting environment
- ‘Throw a pokeball at it!’ Internet loses it over viral footage of otherworldly sea creature
Subscribe to RT newsletter to get stories the mainstream media won’t tell youSubscribePodcastsAll podcasts
- Where’s Greta when you need her? NASA witnesses dramatic polar ice COLLAPSE on Mars
- Billie Eilish strips down for cheap ‘body positivity’ points she doesn’t even need
- Slavoj Zizek: Biggest threat Covid-19 epidemic poses is not our regression to survivalist violence, but BARBARISM with human face
- ‘Enjoy the buffet, big girl’: Football coach fired for attack on politician Stacey Abrams amid crucial Senate vote in US election
- Coincidence? Big Tech censorship comes after MAGA at Capitol ‘conveniently’ offers justification, Emily Ratajkowski & others say
- ‘Putin’s wildest dream’: Russian President celebrating storming of US Capitol Building, say liberal pundits & politicians
- Pelosi consults with military brass on how to keep NUCLEAR CODES out of Trump’s hands
- Parler SUSPENDED from Google Play Store, faces imminent BAN from Apple App Store
© Autonomous Nonprofit Organization “TV-Novosti”, 2005–2021. All rights reserved.