Jose Mourinho’s brutal Mesut Ozil put-down and how spat spoke volumes with Mikel Arteta
Mikel Arteta and Jose Mourinho may be on different sides of the fence in north London, but it seems the Arsenal boss and Tottenham manager agree on Mesut Ozilmirror
JBTransfer update: The latest on Bissouma, Ozil and BarkleyTransfer update: The latest news on Arsenal’s pursuit of Yves Bissouma, Mesut Ozil’s potential Gunners exit and Ross Barkley’s future at Chelsea.https://imasdk.googleapis.com/js/core/bridge3.433.1_en.html#goog_846550732Play VideoTAP TO PLAYTRANSFER UPDATE: THE LATEST ON BISSOUMA, OZIL AND BARKLEYSign up to FREE email alerts from Mirror – Sport – ArsenalSubscribeWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Jose Mourinho delivered a brutal response to Mesut Ozil this Tuesday, after the Arsenal midfielder said he’d rather retire than play for Tottenham.
“Who told him that Tottenham would be interested in signing him?” asked the Spurs boss, reducing the press conference to silence.
Mourinho isn’t afraid to have a pop at anyone in the footballing world, but this isn’t the first time the Portuguese has had a run-in with Ozil.
Mourinho managed the German at Real Madrid, and the pair had a huge falling out, which ultimately resulted in the duo both leaving the club.
Ozil recalled the argument in his book, revealing the clash stemmed from Mourinho suggesting the midfielder wasn’t working hard enough at Real Madrid.
Ozil’s autobiography reads: “[Mourinho said to me] you think two beautiful passes are enough… you think you’re so good that 50 per cent is enough?Sponsored Link by TaboolaMan Mocks Woman On Plane, Doesn’t Realize Who’s Behind HimSizzlfy
Get the latest news straight into your inbox!
It has been a hectic season so far – so make sure you don’t miss a single thing by signing up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!
All the latest transfer news and big stories will land straight into your inbox. You won’t miss out.
To sign up, put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.
“He pauses. Stares at me with his dark brown eyes. I stare back. Like two boxers at the stare-down before the first round.138235572527MOST READ1Roy Keane eventually proved right in heated Sky Sports argument with Jamie Carragher2Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s X-rated outburst overheard as ‘shambolic’ decision punishes Man Utd3Man Utd and Liverpool’s next 10 fixtures compared in Premier League title race
“He shows no emotion. Just waits for a response from me. How much I hate him right now. And I love Mourinho actually.”
Ozil then reacted by taking his shirt off and throwing at Mourinho, to which he responded: “‘Oh, are you giving up now? You’re such a coward. What do you want?
“To creep under the beautiful, warm shower. Shampoo your hair? To be alone? Or do you want to prove to your fellow players, the fans out there, and me, what you can do?'”ADVERTISEMENT
Ozil continued: “I’m so p****d off. I’d like to throw my shoes at his head.
“I want him to stop and finally leave me alone. ‘You know what, Mesut? Go ahead and cry. You’re such a baby going to take a shower. We do not need you.’ Slowly I get up, grab my towel and walk past him without a word, without taking a look at Mourinho.”
Throughout this entire saga at Arsenal, in which Ozil has been frozen out, boss Mikel Arteta has been portrayed as the baddie.
The Gunners’ results have been poor and the club has been crying out for a creative player in the centre of the park – someone like Ozil.
Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was one of the first to hit out at Arteta’s decision to freeze out Ozil in north London.138329070405DON’T MISSOle Gunnar Solskjaer’s X-rated outburst overheard as ‘shambolic’ decision punishes Man UtdUnai Emery opens up on bad decisions at Arsenal, language rumours and working with boardPaul Pogba contradicts agent Mino Raiola with bold statement after Man Utd win
“I feel it is a waste for him [Ozil],” Wenger told the BBC. “Firstly because he’s in the years where a player of his talent can produce the most. And it’s a waste for the club as well because he’s a super talent, a creative talent that in the final third can create that killer pass.
“The way football is going at the moment it’s quick counter-pressing, quick transitions and everybody plays the same. It’s kicked out players like Ozil.
“Although let’s not forget who this guy is. A world champion who has played at Real Madrid. He’s been the record player of assists, so you have to find a way to get him involved again.”
Ozil’s former team-mate Jack Wilshere followed suit, telling Sky Sports: “I loved playing with him. He was a top player. It’s a shame, but what is happening is happening, and no one knows but I’m sure everyone will find out one day.”
Paul Merson added: “For me, Mesut Ozil comes back in the team if Thomas Partey is fit. Partey gets around the pitch, dominates the midfield and dictates the game. Him playing opens up a chance for Ozil.
“At the moment, Arsenal have nobody in there to provide the forwards. You can make runs all day long, but if you’re a centre-forward, your runs are only as good as the players playing behind you.
“When these Arsenal players are getting the ball in midfield, with time, is Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang making the run? Is he confident they are going to see his run and are capable of getting that ball through the eye of a needle?
“I’d say no, so they need creativity. Fernando Torres made runs when Steven Gerrard got the ball. They didn’t even have to look.”
And even David Seaman chimed in on The Target Men podcast, saying: “I am surprised Arteta is choosing to leave out Mezut Ozil because he’s a player of quality.
“I feel something has gone on personally between the two of them, because to leave him out, and on the money he’s on, is a big statement and for me it’s a bit of a waste, because he’s still a quality player.
“When you look at the Arsenal team, we’re crying out for a player like that, so why don’t you build your team around Ozil rather than just leaving him out in the field and letting him go.”
Pressure had been growing on Arteta to reintegrate Ozil at Arsenal this January, but the German is now strongly linked with a move away, suggesting the Spaniard doubled down on his stance.
It seems Arteta is not convinced that Ozil will change his spots, which is why he’s not prepared to change his mind.
Ozil’s recollection of his clash with Mourinho suggests the now Spurs manager felt the very same way about the midfielder, which is why he ended up selling him to Arsenal in 2013.
Arteta has never explicitly explained why he froze out Ozil in the Premier League and Europa League this season.
But his comments about what he expected to see from his Arsenal players, when he took the reins from Unai Emery in 2019, speak volumes and echo Mourinho’s sentiment entirely.
“I want to do things my way but by convincing them that’s it’s the right way for everybody to live better. Everybody has to respect each other first of all, and I want people who are accountable for what I’m asking for them to do,” said Arteta when he became Arsenal boss.
“I don’t want them hiding, I want people to take responsibility for their jobs and I want people who deliver passion and energy in the football club.
“Anyone who doesn’t buy into this, or that has a negative effect or whatever, is not good enough for this environment or this culture. There are things to change, absolutely, because they’re not performing at the level that we expect them to.”
Will Mesut Ozil leave Arsenal this January transfer window? Have your say here.
* Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossiphttps://www.facebook.com/v2.8/plugins/like.php?action=like&app_id=&channel=https%3A%2F%2Fstaticxx.facebook.com%2Fx%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter%2F%3Fversion%3D46%23cb%3Df18cd7207f76354%26domain%3Dwww.mirror.co.uk%26origin%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.mirror.co.uk%252Ff379b277424af%26relation%3Dparent.parent&container_width=0&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fmirrorfootball&layout=button_count&locale=en_GB&sdk=joey&share=false&show_faces=false&size=large&width=300Follow @mirrorfootballMORE STORIESMan Mocks Woman On Plane, Doesn’t Realize Who’s Behind HimSIZZLFY|SponsoredThe Tree Was Cut Down Because This Dog Won’t Stop Barking At ItDAILY SPORT X|SponsoredBackless Bras For A Large Cup SizeBACKLESS BRAS|SponsoredUnited Kingdom Residents May Get Rid of Their Cell Phones for VOIP – Check OptionsVOIP SERVICES | SEARCH ADS|SponsoredArsene Wenger says Arsenal signing was booed by team-mates in trainingMirror Online
FOLLOW THIS CONVERSATION TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN NEW COMMENTS ARE POSTED.FOLLOWJACommenting is subject to our house rules.
- ALL COMMENTS 4
- MOMohamedSeghaier4 HRS AGOMessage ActionsI think they freeze him because of a political and religion issuesREPLY 0SHAREFLAG
- LOLondonIrish4 HRS AGOMessage ActionsAs much as many supporters like Ozil, his PR machine roles on in social media.We should remember the German team manager dropped him. Emery tried to play him and then excluded him.Eventually Arteta felt Ozil was not prepared to put the work rate in, and eventually excluded Ozil from the playing squad !Now we have Mourinho comments, concerning Ozil’s lack of work rate and application.Whilst Ozil tells everyone he loves the club, then offers to pay Gunnersaurus’s salary, ( total stunt) and how he would never play for Tottenham, this is a cynical ploy, to look like the goodie.Even the leaks and the spilt in the dressing room, with players such as Mustafi, Xhaka, Kolasinac and a couple more, are definitely driven by the Ozil situation, we can only guess, who orchestrating these problems?The bottom line four managers, cannot be wrong about Ozil attitude and lack of application. Ozil has a poor attitude, and the quicker he leaves the club the better. Ozil is just another mercenary footballers, who could not care less about Arsenal!!REPLY 0SHAREFLAG
- ASAbu sara5 HRS AGOMessage ActionsThe writer of this article falsely mentioned that Mourinho sold Ozil to arsenal after the incident in fact it’s Perez and the Spanish coach that succeeded Mourinho who did it I remember the fans present at the stadium in the presentation of Bale were shouting Ozil non se vende which translates Ozil isn’t for saleConcerning arteta at the beginning he played Ozil and the same arteta praised him and Ozil did well knowing that arteta knew his talents because he sidelined with him and Ozil was the star and arteta was just averageREPLY 0SHAREFLAG
- MAmatt8800818 HRS AGOMessage ActionsOzil said he’d rather retire than play for Tottenham? I thought he’d already retired! What a bargain for Arsenal though, 350,000 quid a week and you still get the same indefatigable work rate as when he was playing … none! The only player who could make West Ham signing Jack Wilshere look like a good deal!REPLY 2SHAREFLAG
Powered byViafouraEDITOR’S PICK‘My boyfriend’s banned me from wearing tampons and will dump me if I don’t stop’MirrorKate’s birthday heartbreak as unexpected decision left her ‘crushed’MirrorTwo teens murdered as party turned into ‘blood bath’ and killers given lifeMirrorAdele’s manager ‘paid himself £6million more’ than the mega star earned in 2019Mirror20 Expensive Watches Only Rich People Can AffordTOPEXPENSIVE.COM|SponsoredBack Up The Photos On Your Phone With This Device Before It’s Too Late!PHOTOSTICK MOBILE|SponsoredArsenal confirm extent of Gabriel Martinelli injury and expected return dateMirror OnlineSaliba’s message to Smith Rowe speaks volumes about on-loan Arsenal starMirror OnlineArteta officially confirms Arsenal’s first signing of January windowMirror OnlineHere’s What To Do If Your Phone Storage Is Over 90% Full!PHOTOSTICK MOBILE|SponsoredMesut Ozil names best XI from his time at Arsenal including notable outcastMirror OnlineArsenal signing Omar Rekik opens up on £55million dream at new clubMirror OnlineGuendouzi’s Hertha displays could force Arsenal into making early transfer callMirror OnlineMany May Be Ditching Traditional Phones for VoIP – Check OptionsVOIP SERVICES | SEARCH ADS|SponsoredCOVID-19 Vaccination Programme VaccinatorNO-TERMSREED|SponsoredApply NowWilliam Saliba makes Mikel Arteta accusation as he explains real reason for loanMirror OnlineArteta says he’s got unlikely new Arsenal leader after “having to throw him in”Mirror OnlinePiers Morgan sends Mesut Ozil brutal message as he nears Arsenal exitMirror Online25 Most Expensive Dogs in the World That Are Incredibly CharmingTOPEXPENSIVE.COM|SponsoredMORE ON
- Mikel Arteta
- Mesut Ozil
- David Seaman
- Paul Merson
- Arsene Wenger
- Fernando Torres
- Jack Wilshere
- Jose Mourinho
- Steven Gerrard
- Sky Sports