Celebrity agent, 38, fights for his life in a coma in Mexico after falling ill with Covid-19 – as celeb pals race to raise £100,000 for medical treatment and to fly him home
By Raven Saunt For Mailonline12:41 26 Jan 2021, updated 17:16 26 Jan 2021
- Terry Mills, 38, originally from Devon, caught Covid-19 during a business trip
- It developed into pneumonia and he is now fighting for life at hospital in Cancun
- Friends have since set up fundraising page to pay for treatment and flight home
Cancer survivor Terry Mills, 38, originally from Devon, is fighting for his life at a hospital in Cancun, Mexico, after he caught Covid-19 during a business trip which later developed into pneumonia. ADVERTISEMENThttps://a4260d72a78a088fb30df66aed05286c.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html?n=0
The celebrity agent looks after clients including TOWIE‘S Yazmin Oukhellou, Gogglebox’s Amy Tapper, and Callum Izzard from Ibiza Weekender. https://www.oo-syringe.com/prod/AMP/minute-media-player.html?content_type=specific&content_id=01ev70mdf0ek75pyv5%2301esryb7r7vba1k4sj
His friends have since set up the fundraising page to pay for the ‘astronomical’ cost of treatment costs as well as a flight home, expected to amount to £100,000, with stars including Natalie Cassidy, Amy Tapper, Alison Hammond, Max Bowden, Gillian Taylforth, Letitia Dean and Chizzy Akudolu chipping in.
It is not clear when Terry travelled to Mexico, which has counted more than 1.7 million Covid-19 cases and more than 150,000 deaths, and earlier this month experienced a record spike that saw cases daily double to 21,366 within a week.
Due to low levels of testing, experts believe the true death count could be closer to 200,000.
The fundraiser read: ‘The hospital have told family and friends if Terry was to have any chance of survival he had to be induced into a coma and placed on a ventilator for a minimum of ten days, plus recovery care beyond that, and a flight to bring them home to England.
‘The cost is astronomical, but you can’t put a price on a person’s life and we are at the mercy of the Playa Med Hospital in Cancun.
‘We’ve clubbed together and thrown everything we have at this so far in order to buy Terry a hospital bed where he has been receiving oxygen and antibiotics, but his condition worsened and the doctors said he had to be put on a ventilator if he is to survive this.
‘We’re frightened. We want to be there holding Terry’s hand but we’re not allowed and we need to raise another £100,000 within the next ten days to pay for this life-saving treatment.’
It said that the group had contacted the British Consulate which had done as much as it could, but concluded that the final cost for medical care lies with the patient.
It continued: ‘Imagine if it was your other half, child, sibling, friend, lying there in a strange hospital thousands of miles from home not understanding what doctors are saying to them, not allowed to have anybody with them on the ward for the fear of contagion of Covid-19.
- Couple spend £50,000 transforming their dated home with a trendy industrial kitchen and colourful bathroom – and they even turned the spare bedroom into a walk-in wardrobe
- Anything to avoid a tantrum! Hilarious snaps reveal inexplicable things children do when you let them get their own way
‘You’d do everything you could to save them. You wouldn’t want them to die, alone, simply because they did not have enough money to pay for medical care.ADVERTISEMENThttps://a4260d72a78a088fb30df66aed05286c.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html?n=0
‘We are so lucky to have our wonderful NHS.
‘Times are hellish for all our families and the whole world in this brutal pandemic, but if you can spare anything, even the smallest amount of change it can help buy our darling Terry more time to let the doctors do their work and save their life, so we hopefully can bring him home to us.’
The GoFundMe page, which was set up by Terry’s friends – Sarah-Louise, Cat and Sam – has so far raised more than £32,000 of its £100,000 target.
It added: ‘Many of you reading this will know Terry and so you don’t need us to tell you what an amazing person and caring friend he is.
‘Those who don’t, well to know him is to love him.’ It is not clear when Terry (pictured at a recent charity event) travelled to Mexico on the business tripThe GoFundMe page, which was set up by Terry’s friends – Sarah-Louise (pictured together), Cat and Sam – has so far raised more than £32,000 of its £100,000 target
Sarah-Louise, who works as a journalist, told FEMAIL: ‘Terry’s family and friends are so grateful and appreciative to every person and organisation who has donated and wished him well so far, but we’ve got a long way to go and we need to find the rest of the money fast.
‘The hospital would not even start treatment until Terry paid up a significant amount of money.
‘There has been a small improvement in his breathing which has given us all some hope, but he’s still critically ill in a coma.
‘Every one of us is working flat out trying everything to save him and raise the money, and we’ve had wonderful support from stars such as Britain’s Got Talent winner Richard Jones as well as Kate and Rio Ferdinand, but more needs to be done.
‘If other people reading this can help in any way or has expertise in dealing with British citizens in crisis abroad, please contact me via the GoFundMe link.’Terry’s cousin Emma Mills (pictured together) said that the family are heartbroken
Terry’s cousin, Emma Mills, also said: ‘We need to raise another £100,000 within the next 10 days to pay for this life-saving treatment.
‘We are devastated – he is all alone out there, we can speak with the hospital staff but it’s made difficult as there is a language barrier.’
Emma added that from the moment Terry first displayed symptoms to being placed into an induced coma was a matter of days.
She said: ‘He began displaying symptoms on the Monday.ADVERTISEMENThttps://a4260d72a78a088fb30df66aed05286c.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html?n=0
‘By the Thursday he could barely speak as he was struggling to breathe – he was placed on oxygen.
‘Then on the Saturday, the hospital said that if he was to have any chance of survival he had to be induced into a coma and placed on a ventilator for a minimum of 10 days.’
Emma added that the family are heartbroken and Terry’s mother is worried sick.
She said: ‘The cost is astronomical – we have all clubbed together as much as we can.
‘He has so much still to give to the world.’ Last year, Terry (pictured back centre in a group alongside singers Zoe Birkett and Jack Jones), who was previously a radio presenter on ExmouthAiR, beat cancer
Last year, Terry, who was previously a radio presenter on ExmouthAiR, beat cancer.
His former boss, ExmouthAiR’s Station Manager Andy Green, took to Facebook with a tribute that read: ‘We are all deeply shocked at ExmouthAiR to hear this news, Terry is a colourful, lovely bubbly character who was an integral part of our early trial broadcasts who brought so much joy and energy to the airwaves. ADVERTISEMENThttps://a4260d72a78a088fb30df66aed05286c.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html?n=0
‘Our thoughts and prayers are with Terry and his family and friends at this time.’
Share or comment on this article:
UK celebrity agent with coronavirus fights for life in Mexico
- Has Billie Piper let Kylie’s big secret slip? Singer reveals she was rescued by the pop star’s ‘fian…
- ‘It sucks!’ Rufus Hound confirms he’s been AXED from Dancing On Ice after testing positive for Covid…
- Madonna’s daughter Lourdes Leon, 24, slips into a VERY skimpy thong bikini during luxurious Mexican …
- ‘He was scared, in pain, he didn’t want to die.’ Dustin Diamond’s girlfriend and friend reveal heart…
- Kim Kardashian is ‘no longer in contact’ with Kanye West… as rapper ‘removes 500 pairs of sneakers…
- New year, new you (2021 style): From losing the lockdown pounds to lit…Ad Feature
- Meghan Markle braced for fresh revelations about family rift as her half-sibling Samantha finally re…
- Britain salutes Captain Tom: Nation takes to doorsteps to pay tribute to hero who lost his battle wi…
- Cindy Crawford, 54, admits she had to ‘change the way she ate’ to become a model as she tells of her…
- You CAN fall back in love with your childhood sweetheart: Katherine Ryan tells the story of how…
- ‘My pillar of strength’: The Wanted’s Tom Parker thanks wife Kelsey for getting him ‘through the dar…
- MAFS Australia star Ines Basic reveals real reason behind doomed marriage and claims final edit drov…
- Alessandra Ambrosio rocks tiny white bikini as she frolics in the water while posing for photos in F…
- SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Down to earth with a bump… Red Dwarf duo in court battle
- Do you have what it takes to be a criminal psychologist? This online c…Promoted
- David Beckham invests in synthetic cannabis company that makes athletic recovery products
- Chris Pratt’s camp says fake tweets have been circulating implicating actor of bigotry: ‘Chris never…
- They’re serious! Chris Martin, 43, and Dakota Johnson, 31, ‘move in together’ after three years of d…
- Matt Richardson is revealed as Rufus Hound’s replacement on Dancing On Ice… after the comedian was…
- Bianca Gascoigne puts a VERY racy display in sheer lingerie as she flaunts the results of her breast…
- Rita Ora splashes out on luxury six-bedroom ‘haunted’ mansion in north London… after her Covid rul…
- Ant McPartlin and fiancée Anne-Marie Corbett have made NO wedding plans yet… and says he ‘supposes…
- ‘Getting into the Valentine’s mood’: Olivia Attwood sends temperatures soaring as she displays her a…
- ‘She’s an icon!’ Coronation Street fans praise teen Asha Alahan as she casually comes out to dad Dev…
- ‘We respect you, rest in peace’: Katie Price and her family pay tribute to the late Captain Tom Moor…
- Malin Andersson leaves little to the imagination as she displays her hourglass figure in pink lace…
- ‘It was like a drug’: Celebs Go Dating’s Sophie Hermann breaks down as she reflects on struggling wi…
- Kourtney Kardashian models an orange bikini as she reveals she puts KOMBUCHA in her tequila punch
- Kendall Jenner looks flawless as she emerges from a self-care session at a Beverly Hills skin care…
- ‘She must have a tan!’ Khloe Kardashian divides fans as some accuse her of using a ‘black woman’s em…
MORE TOP STORIES
© Associated Newspapers Ltd
- Contact usMobile apps
- View desktop siteAdvertise with us
- Privacy & cookiesHow to complain
- Do not sell my info