Prince Philip, 99, has successful heart operation as Queen launches astonishing probe into Meghan Markle bullying claims
- 11:25, 4 Mar 2021
- Updated: 19:23, 4 Mar 2021
PRINCE Philip has undergone a “successful” heart operation as the Queen launches a probe into claims Meghan Markle bullied staff.
Follow our Prince Philip live blog for the very latest on the Duke…
He is undergoing testing for his pre-existing heart problem at the hospital, which is one of the country’s leading specialist cardiac centres.https://250ca855663d47714fd5762d4ad063d4.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html?n=0
Buckingham Palace confirmed today Philip, who is just three months away from his 100th birthday, had an operation and will remain in hospital for a “number of days”.
He has so far spent a total of 16 nights being cared for by medics – his longest ever stay in hospital.
A statement said: “The Duke of Edinburgh yesterday underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s Hospital.
“His Royal Highness will remain in hospital for treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days.”https://250ca855663d47714fd5762d4ad063d4.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html?n=0
Prince Philip had a stent operation on his heart in 2011. The palace is not commenting on what type of surgery or operation the duke had this time.
The update comes after the Queen launched a bombshell probe following claims Meghan had bullied royal staff.
This include aides described as being “completely destroyed”, it is alleged.https://250ca855663d47714fd5762d4ad063d4.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html?n=0
In an unprecedented move, the Palace released a statement saying they were “very concerned” and “won’t tolerate harassment”.
Philip’s health update also comes ahead of grandson Prince Harry’s tell-all interview with Megan this weekend.
There have been calls to delay the airing of the chat with Oprah Winfrey, which will air in the UK on Monday, out of respect for Philip.
But a source close to the couple said US network CBS is not believed to have any intention of changing the date.
The insider told PA: “There are a lot of people who are going to talk about this until the programme airs, but the programming and all the rest of it is ultimately up to CBS, we’re not involved in that side of things.
“As it stands, I don’t think there is any intention from the programme maker to change its air date.”
The Queen brushed off the royal fears today as she carried on with business as usual.
She held her weekly audience with Boris Johnson last night and today had a telephone chat with the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Michael Wigston.
Philip was pictured leaving London’s King Edward VII clinic in an ambulance on Monday as police guarded his way.
Buckingham Palace previously said the Duke walked into the hospital unaided and received medical attention for an infection.
And in an update last Tuesday, the Palace said: “He is comfortable and responding to treatment but is not expected to leave hospital for several days.”
The duke, who will turn 100 on June 10, was vaccinated against coronavirus last month and his infection is not Covid-related.
Timeline of Philip’s stay in hospital
Tuesday February 16 2021 – The duke is admitted to King Edward VII’s Hospital on a precautionary basis after feeling unwell.
He travels from Windsor Castle by car.
Philip is said to be in “good spirits” and walks into the private hospital unaided.
He is expected to stay for a few days.
Friday February 19 – Sources say Philip is now expected to remain in hospital for “observation and rest” over the weekend and into the next week.
Saturday February 20 – The Prince of Wales makes a 200 mile-round trip to see his father, spending around half an hour at the hospital.
Tuesday February 23 – Seven days after the duke was admitted, the Palace says he is being treated for an infection and is “comfortable and responding to treatment”, but is not expected to leave hospital for several more days.
The Earl of Wessex says the duke is a “lot better” and looking forward to getting out.
Monday March 1 – Philip is transferred in an ambulance to St Bartholomew’s Hospital for treatment for an infection and testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition, Buckingham Palace says.
The duke is shielded from public view by large umbrellas as he leaves King Edward VII’s Hospital.
Thursday March 4 – Buckingham Palace confirms Philip has undergone a ‘successful’ heart operation and will remain in hospital for a ‘number of days’
The Duchess of Cornwall gave an update on her father-in-law yesterday as she visited a vaccination centre in Croydon, South London.
She confirmed his condition is “slightly improving”.
Camilla added: “We keep our fingers crossed”.
Last week, Prince Edward said he had spoken to his father on the phone, who was “looking forward to getting out”.
He told Sky: “As far as I’m aware, well I did speak to them the other day, so he’s a lot better thank you very much indeed, and he’s looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing.
“So we keep our fingers crossed.”
Meanwhile, Prince Charles visited his father the weekend before last, looking sombre as he left.
It is understood Charles wanted to visit his father due to his extended stay.
MOST READ IN NEWS
The visit is Philip’s longest stay in hospital since June 2013 when he had an exploratory operation on his abdomen.
The Palace said on Monday: “The Duke of Edinburgh was transferred from King Edward VII’s Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition.
“The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week.”
https://players.brightcove.net/5067014667001/5z708EYEr9_default/index.html?videoId=6237051833001&appId=Inline&playsinline=trueMeghan Markle accuses Royal family of ‘perpetuating falsehoods’ and says ‘a lot’s been lost’ in Oprah interview clip amid bullying claimsTopics
FOLLOW THE SUN
Our journalists strive for accuracy but on occasion we make mistakes. For further details of our complaints policy and to make a complaint please click this link: thesun.co.uk/editorial-complaints/https://250ca855663d47714fd5762d4ad063d4.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html?n=0