Suspected human remains discovered by Met Police searching for missing woman Sarah Everard, cop still in custody
10 Mar, 2021 21:18
FILE PHOTO: Forensic investigators gather evidence after Metropolitan Police closed off Poynders Road in Clapham on March 9, 2021 while investigating Sarah Everard’s disappearance © Peter ManningGlobal Look Press/Keystone Press Agency
Follow RT onThe head of London’s Metropolitan Police has said detectives believe they have discovered human remains in their search for missing woman Sarah Everard. A serving officer is in custody on suspicion of the young woman’s murder.
Everard, 33, disappeared on March 3 while walking home to Brixton from a friend’s apartment in Clapham.
A man in his 40s who is a serving Metropolitan Police officer in the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command is being held on suspicion of murder as well as on a separate allegation of indecent exposure.
“This evening detectives and search teams investigating Sarah’s disappearance have very sadly discovered what we believe at this stage to be human remains,” Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said in a statement on Wednesday night.
“The discovery was made in an area of woodland in Ashford, Kent. As you can imagine, at this early stage we are not able to confirm any identity and indeed this may take us some time.”ALSO ON RT.COMServing Met Police officer arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with Sarah Everard disappearance
The police chief added that Londoners can expect to see “continued high levels of police patrols” in the area at the centre of the case as the investigation continues.
Dick also spoke of the “waves of shock and anger through the public and through the whole of the Met” over the officer’s arrest on suspicion of killing Everard. “I speak on behalf of all my colleagues in the Met when I say we are utterly appalled at this dreadful news,” the commissioner added.
A second person arrested in connection with Everard’s disappearance is a woman in her 30s who is being detained on suspicion of assisting an offender, police said. Both she and the male officer were arrested on Tuesday.
Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!
Trends:England newsUK newsJoin RT Visual on Telegramby TaboolaPromoted LinksYou May LikeFree Vision Correction Consultations for Glasses Wearers Around LochoreLasik-Eyes Surgery Quotes‘Sh*tstorm’: Model girlfriend of tennis ace Tomic apologizes after backlash over quarantine hair-washing commentsThe App That Teaches Spanish In 3 WeeksBabbel.comFROM OUR PARTNERSDon’t gamble on the stock market like it’s Las Vegas. You will loseCovid cases spiked until January 20 then magically dropped sharplyCalifornia serial killer Roger Reece Kibbe slain in prison
- Transport secretary roasted on talkRADIO for reneging on January pledge to ‘man the barricades’ & fight against lockdown
- ‘Why are you commenting?’ Gary Lineker called out after backing Piers Morgan despite ‘bizarre & obsessive’ Harry & Meghan rants
Subscribe to RT newsletter to get stories the mainstream media won’t tell youSubscribePodcastsAll podcasts
- False dawn’s truth? Scientists say they’ve finally cracked centuries-old mystery, thanks to the Juno probe
- Wayne Dupree: The Covid stimulus bill is a socialist scam, and the Dems are trying to turn our nation into a one-party state
- #Resistance ‘warrior’ Brooklyn Dad Defiant slammed for quietly accepting $57K in Democratic Party donations
- Britain proudly announces a plan to ‘protect journalists’ – but if it really cared it would free Julian Assange
- ‘Shoot the messenger!’ The German attacks on RT are an attempt to shift public attention from the mayhem of Merkel’s sunset months
- So much for a Covid baby boom: A big drop in the number of kids being born shows what happens if you scare people about the future
- The spectre of a multipolar world with Brazil’s Lula making a political comeback is haunting Washington
- Russian cosplayers from Siberia build LIFE-SIZE replica of Razor Crest starship from ‘The Mandalorian’ (PHOTOS)