CCTV from London bus ‘led to murder arrest’ of cop

CCTV from London bus ‘led to murder arrest’ of cop Wayne Couzens in Sarah Everard case

Human remains were found in a wooded area near Kent yesterday in the search for Sarah Everard.SHARE

  • 13:08, 11 MAR 2021UPDATED13:24, 11 MAR 2021


The CCTV footage from a London bus provided the key breakthrough in the arrest of Serving Metropolitan Police officer Wayne Couzens in connection with the abduction and murder of Sarah Everard.

In another report it is claimed a motorist’s dashcam footage spotted the suspect’s car.

Our sister title The Mirror reports how Couzens, a married dad-of-two, has been interviewed by colleagues following the discovery of human remains in a wooded area near Ashford, Kent.

Ms Everard, a marketing executive, was last seen alive on the night of March 3 and police confirmed that the remains were found around 50 miles south-west of that location – and 30 miles from Couzens’ home in Deal, Kent.

The 33-year-old woman was walking from a friend’s house in Clapham to her home in Brixton when she vanished at about 9.30pm, and it is suspected she was attacked by a stranger.

Police confirmed on Wednesday that remains had been found and the case was now being treated as a murder.

Wayne Couzens(Image: Kent Messenger/SWNS)

Officials were working to identify the remains, which were found as police searched an abandoned golf and paintball centre near Ashford.

On Tuesday night, shortly after returning home from a shift in London, Couzens, 49, who who protected diplomats and VIPs, was arrested on suspicion of kidnap and murder, and a separate allegation of indecent exposure.


Victim of brutal Glasgow sword fight named as thug who was jailed for knife gang murder bidScots murderer who killed gangland enforcer attacked prison officer in Low Moss jailDriver denies causing his car to fly through air and smash into a shop leaving £50,000 bill

Neighbours claim police had the home of the armed officer, who worked in the Westminster-based Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command, under surveillance in the hours before the arrest.

CCTV handout image issued by the Metropolitan Police of Sarah Everard(Image: PA)
Read More

A woman in her 30s, who was arrested at the same address, is also being questioned by detectives on suspicion of assisting an offender.

The breakthrough is understood to have come from CCTV footage from a camera fixed to a bus that had been travelling along the route where Ms Everard disappeared, the Telegraph reported.

A car linked to the murder suspect was allegedly spotted on a motorist’s dashcam near to where Ms Everard was last seen, and tracked by ANPR cameras, the Sun reported.

Scotland Yard said the murder suspect was not on duty when Ms Everard vanished.

It is claimed Couzens worked a relief shift at the American Embassy in Nine Elms, south-west London, until 8pm the night Ms Everard went missing.


Victim of brutal Glasgow sword fight named as thug who was jailed for knife gang murder bidScots murderer who killed gangland enforcer attacked prison officer in Low Moss jailDriver denies causing his car to fly through air and smash into a shop leaving £50,000 bill

The embassy is about three miles from where Durham University graduate Ms Everard, originally from York, was last seen on a doorbell camera in Clapham about 9.30pm.

Neighbours told the Times that former car mechanic Couzens was shirtless and handcuffed when he was led out of his house and taken away in a car late on Tuesday, six days after the disappearance.

Sarah Everard, 33(Image: PA)

A witness said she saw two men in a Land Rover watching the house at about 5pm on Tuesday before they went to the door two hours later.

Between 15 and 20 more officers were hidden around the corner as the house was stormed, the neighbour added.

It is understood detectives have found no link between the suspect and Ms Everard.

A source told the Times: “Of course you can’t be 100 per cent certain at this stage and there’s a lot of digital equipment to go through.

“But so far it is a leading line of inquiry that Sarah did not know whoever attacked her.”

Met Commissioner Cressida Dick sought to reassure the public in the wake of Wednesday’s developments, saying “it is thankfully incredibly rare for a woman to be abducted from our streets”.

She added: “But I completely understand that despite this, women in London and the wider public – particularly those in the area where Sarah went missing – will be worried and may well be feeling scared.”

The Met said the arrested officer’s main job was uniformed patrol of diplomatic premises, but would not specify where he had worked.

Forensic officers conduct a search in an area of woodland in Ashford in Ken(Image: PA)

The diplomatic protection squad is responsible for guarding the Parliamentary estate including Downing Street and the Palace of Westminster, as well as embassies in London.

In a statement, Ms Dick said: “The news today that it was a Metropolitan Police officer arrested on suspicion of Sarah’s murder has sent waves of shock and anger through the public and through the whole of the Met.

“I speak on behalf of all my colleagues in the Met when I say we are utterly appalled at this dreadful news. Our job is to patrol the streets and to protect people.”

Investigators are continuing to work “around the clock” on what Ms Dick described as a “very fast moving” case.

The remains have not yet been identified and it could take some time to do so, the Commissioner added.

She said people living around Clapham and Tulse Hill could expect to see increased patrols in the area.

Scotland Yard referred itself to the police watchdog over the arrest of its own officer and separately over the force’s actions after Ms Everard was reported missing.

Women’s Equality Party leader Mandu Reid said the Met should not oversee the case, given one of its officers has been arrested.

She tweeted: “The fact that a @metpoliceuk officer has been arrested on suspicion of murder makes it all the more frightening, and it is imperative that the case is now taken over by a separate police force. We have to do this right.”

The alleged abduction and murder has prompted a serious online discussion about the different attitudes men and women have towards personal safety.

The case has become national news followed by millions and, though its full details are not yet known, it has highlighted the danger women can face when out alone – and the measures they take to avoid it.

For some women, it has also been a troubling reminder of their own experiences.

One woman tweeted: “Sarah Everard did everything right. Everything women are ‘supposed’ to. Bright clothing. Main road. Called her man.

“Every woman I know in Clapham doesn’t feel safe at night.

“Not to walk home from work, to exercise, to walk to the shop. I wish more men understood this feeling.”

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Thursday: “I am shocked and deeply saddened by the developments in the Sarah Everard investigation.

“Like the whole country my thoughts are with her family and friends. We must work fast to find all the answers to this horrifying crime.”

As well as the search of wooded areas in Ashford and the outskirts of Deal, over the course of Wednesday, officers also searched the suspect’s home in the coastal town of Deal, about 75 miles from Clapham.

Neighbours claim police were digging up the garden.

A tent was set up in front of the house, which was surrounded by a metal fence for privacy.

Two cars were taken away by investigators and neighbours said Couzens lived at the address with his Ukraine-born wife, Elena, a 38-year-old laboratory manager, and two children.

Members of Couzens’ family defended him following his arrest.

His mother-in-law, Nina Sukhoreba, told the Telegraph from her home in Kirovograd, Ukraine: “He could not do anything like this. He is a wonderful family man, a wonderful man. This just sounds crazy to me.”

She added: “I talked to my daughter just yesterday (Tuesday) and she didn’t tell me anything. She said Wayne was at work and everything was fine.”

Ms Everard vanished after leaving a friend’s flat in Clapham at about 9pm on March 3.

She is thought to have walked through Clapham Common towards her house in Brixton – a journey which should have taken around 50 minutes.

Ms Everard spent about 15 minutes speaking to her boyfriend, Josh Lowth, on the phone shortly before she disappeared.


Sword victim was jailed for murder bidScots candle vigils for Sarah EverardSNP’s ‘zero tolerance’ after allegationsRacist Scot’s message to Everton star

She was last captured on a doorbell camera walking along the A205 Poynders Road towards Tulse Hill at around 9.30pm.

A vigil titled “Reclaim these streets” has been organised on Facebook and is due to take place at Clapham Common bandstand at 6pm on Saturday evening.

“We’ve all been following the tragic case of Sarah Everard over the last week. This is a vigil for Sarah”



© 2021 Scottish Daily Record and Sunday Mail Ltd

Published by technofiend1

Kazan- Kazan National Research Technical University Казанский национальный исследовательский технический университет имени А. Н. Туполева he graduated in Economics in 1982

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: