The White House calls on Lukashenka to investigate the Ryanair landing, release all political prisoners and hold a “free and fair” presidential election in Belarus
The White House announced sanctions against Belarus over theemergency landing of a Ryanair plane in Minskand the detention of Belarusian opposition journalist Roman Protasevich.
Here are the main measures taken by the United States:
- Appeal for American citizens not to travel to Belarus;
- A recommendation for American carriers to exercise “extreme caution” when flying over Belarus;
- Suspension of the air services agreement with Belarus, which allowed the airlines of the two countries to make flights between them;
- Renewal from June 3 of sanctions againstnine Belarusian state-owned enterprises(these sanctionswere announcedeven before the incident with the Ryanair aircraft);
- Developing, together with the European Union,newrestrictive measures against key associates of Alexander Lukashenko.
- Elaboration of a decree that will give the United States expanded powers to impose sanctions against “elements of the Lukashenka regime” and his “support network”.
The White House calls on Lukashenka to investigate the Ryanair landing…
View original post 14 more words