Girl, 8, rushed to hospital after being bitten by a venomous adder during Easter family picnic
Birmingham was rushed to hospital this Bank Holiday weekend after being bitten by a venomous snake while on an Easter picnic.
The girl’s hand swelled after the adder attack which took place at Kinver Edge, on the border of Worcestershire, Staffordshire and Black Country on Saturday April 16.
The youngster needed an intravenous infusion of anti-venom serum while bring treated at Birmingham Children’s Hospital, where she remained over the weekend for observation as a precaution.
Her dad David Rathbone said: “She had been alerted to the snake’s presence by one of our party, and being a plucky girl, she investigated the striking-looking reptile with her finger.
“Unusually, the snake did not retreat but stuck at her finger.
“She gave out a ‘yelp’, at which point I grabbed her hand and sucked hard at the wound on the tip of her index finger.
“The snake still did not retreat. The snake also struck at my hand forcing me to whip my hand out of range.
“She then complained of pain and swelling, so we jumped into my car to Kidderminster Hospital as the swelling to her fingers rapidly increased.
“About 15-minutes later at the minor injuries unit her whole hand had begun to swell.