Russia has scrapped the upper age limit for contractual service in the military.
you’re just joining us, here’s what been happening so far:
- Russia continues efforts to take full control of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions in eastern Ukraine
- Russia’s airborne forces have seen “heavy losses” due to “strategic mismanagement” during the invasion, the UK says in its latest military intelligence update
- Ukraine has accused Russia of “blackmail” after Moscow offered to lift its blockade on Black Sea ports in exchange for lifting of some sanctions
- British Foreign Secretary Liz Truss will address armed forces of Bosnia and Herzegovina and urge the UK’s Western allies to ensure Putin’s defeat in Ukraine
- Germany warned of a fatigue setting in Europe over the Ukraine war. A Reuters report said Italy and Hungary had urged the EU to call explicitly for a ceasefire in Ukraine and peace talks with Russia
- Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree simplifying the procedure for residents of the Ukrainian regions of Zaporizhzhia and Kherson to get a Russian passport. Ukraine called the move illegal.
- Meanwhile, Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has ordered an end to visa-free travel for Russian citizens